International

Iran Can Sink US Warship, Supreme Leader Warns After Talks

Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, on Tuesday warned that the country has the capability to sink a US warship deployed in the Gulf, as fresh talks between the two sides concluded in Switzerland.

The warning comes amid a US military build-up in the region, with President Donald Trump increasing pressure on Iran to reach a deal over its nuclear programme.

The Omani-mediated talks aimed to prevent potential US military action, while Tehran demands the lifting of sanctions that have strained its economy. An AFP journalist saw delegations from both countries leave the residence of the Omani ambassador in Geneva on Tuesday afternoon.

Ahead of the talks, Trump warned of consequences if Tehran failed to strike a deal, citing both Iran’s deadly crackdown on protesters and concerns over its nuclear programme. Washington has deployed two aircraft carriers to the region, including the USS Abraham Lincoln, which is positioned roughly 700 kilometres (435 miles) from the Iranian coast, putting at least a dozen F‑35 and F‑18 fighter jets within range.

“I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal,” Trump said ahead of the talks.

Khamenei, however, issued a strong countermessage. “We constantly hear that they have sent a warship towards Iran. A warship is certainly a dangerous weapon, but even more dangerous is the weapon capable of sinking it,” he said, adding that Trump would not succeed in destroying the Islamic Republic.

Iran has insisted that talks focus solely on its nuclear programme, while Washington has sought to include other issues, such as ballistic missiles and regional influence. Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baqaei stressed on Tuesday that lifting sanctions must be part of any deal.

Military Drills
To demonstrate its capabilities, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps began a series of war games in the Strait of Hormuz on Monday to prepare for “potential security and military threats,” state media reported. Parts of the waterway will be temporarily closed for safety during the drills. The strait is a critical route for global oil and gas shipments, and Iran has repeatedly threatened to block it in the past.

Diplomatic efforts have previously faltered, including last year when Israeli strikes on Iranian targets triggered a brief confrontation involving the US.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio expressed cautious optimism, saying on Monday, “We’re hopeful there’s a deal. The president always prefers peaceful and negotiated outcomes.”

Iran’s top diplomat, Abbas Araghchi, told X that he had come to Geneva with “real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal,” but would not “submit to threats.” He also met with International Atomic Energy Agency head Rafael Grossi on Monday for technical discussions.

The West fears Iran’s nuclear programme may be aimed at producing a bomb, a charge Tehran denies. The US has sent Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner to Geneva to support the negotiations.

Trump has suggested that a change of government in Iran would be “the best thing that could happen.” Experts warn Iran faces an “existential dilemma,” balancing the need for sanctions relief with the risk that concessions could undermine its ideological and military authority.

AFP

Related posts

JUST IN: Paul Biya Wins Eighth Term as Cameroon President

EDITOR

AU Demands Immediate Release of Guinea-Bissau President After Military Seizes Power

Ali Salisu Hamisu

Nine wounded in major UK train stabbing incident

EDITOR

Leave a Comment